Monday 17 June 2013

The challenge begins one square at a time

The Order of Magnitude Challenge


 This blog is about a challenge I am setting myself over the next 12 months.  The challenge is to make £1,000,000 just by playing a game. I know this sounds like a crazy idea and your right , it is. Im just thinking differently about money and how we make it and not taking money too seriously. I have been thinking about doing this for some time, Im doing it for fun and and if it works then I will be able to fund my art, look after my family and be able help others who need it.

The Challenge
I was fascinated with the story about the king and the rice on the chessboard. heres a nice little animation about it by Ray and Charles Eames for IBM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3d0Y-JpRRg


Here are the rules of the game...

I start with a £1 coin
I have to double it by buying something old and remixing it and selling it for £2 then I buy something for £2 and sell this for £4 and so on...
I have to repeat this for each square of the chessboard.
There are 64 squares on the chessboard but I only have to make 20 transactions in 12 months
20 transactions =  £1M
(Note: If I was to complete the whole chessboard then I will own all the money in the world! yes really! and I will be able to end famine melt down all the weapons and turn them into rollercoasters or something far more useful if i could be bothered to put my mind to such a far fetched idea.)

Im 99.999% sure I will fail at this but it will be fun trying. It could be really dull or it could change my life. It may lead to adventures or it will never go anywhere. I have nothing to lose, only £1

Lets begin...



1 comment: